Monday, May 4, 2015

5/4/15 day 16: Bardejov, SK

Started late today. I opted to skip breakfast to grab an extra 30 min of sleep so I met everyone at 11. Was packed and ready to go by 11:01. It was hard to say goodbye to Penzion Familia. They were so sweet and hospitable...
That's my hairstyle from 8th grade. My mom will be happy. She always thought it needed more height... 

We left our home away from home and drove north to the Borošova family vineyard and we tried some delicious vinos. It got slightly wierd. It was before noon.
And dig this...
That's how you pull some wine out of the cask. So you have to suck into the glass bowl, draw the wine in, and then cap it with your finger. Sounds a lot like Freiburg '97, but that's a story for another day.. We tasted about 6 different wines from Moscats to Cabs and Peter and I agreed the Pinot Noir was the best. Well, until the special grape schnapps was busted out, that was very tasty. They don't bottle that tho, it's just for special occasions. Like late morning tSR wine tastings. BOOM.

We then went to Olga's friend Zuzka's (she is Enzo's owner, the horse I rode the other day) pizza shop for lunch. It was a little chilly but we sat outside on the patio. Maybe if we just act like the sun is out, it will come out? It was a really really tasty lunch and we had a lot of fun trying to learn more Slovakian language. I feel like German is easy compared to Slovakian. But anyway, back to the pizza...Oh, they even had some hot chili sauce which I totally appreciated. It was similar to Sriracha with less heat but it reminded me of home. Zuzka took great care of us and we said our goodbyes and got on the road. 
5 person cascading selfie! Thanks Zuzka!

We get back to the car and a tire was booted because our parking ticket ran out...Not just a ticket. Booted. 
Like we had been parked there for a week! Anyway, the cops rolled up and Olga was able to talk them down from a 50€ fine to a 10€ fine... But still, 10€ becuase we were 30 min beyond our parking time allotment... What the hell!? So, to ease the pain, we sang Bid You to the cops. Not sure it was appreciated. Ahoy!
I had time for a quick power down at the really beautiful Pension Le Monde around the corner from the venue. I feel like I have my own floor... My room could sleep a family of 5. Got cleaned up and walked over to venue Chianti which is a hip little cafe/wine bar right on the main square.

Quick sound check and started our set at 7:30. Had a good crowd of about 20+ attentive Slovaks who clapped and sang along. We switched up the set a little and I pulled an audible in the middle of the second and asked the crowd for names of their favorite bands... We heard Beatles, Eagles, U2, among others. I knew Peter had a U2 song up his sleeve, so I gave the guitar to him and we all sang "with or without you." It was kind of random, but fun. We had a great last night. After the set we were treated to a drink and some food with the two young owners of Chianti, Peter and Kamil. Peter Day was in heaven becuase they had his favorites. I stuck w red wine. And of course, Slivovica... For digestion only. My stomach is going to be SOLID after this trip.
It was a great hang and a really fun performance. A great way to end the  tour. 

Dear people of Slovakia, you have been very kind to us and made us feel very welcome. We hope you enjoyed listening to the music as much as we enjoyed playing it for you.

And a special thanks to our amazing friend, booking agent, tour manager, driver, translator, tour guide, dressage coach, among other things.. Olga Borošova! Thank you for bringing us to your beautiful country.

Thank you! Dakujem! Ahoy!

No comments: