Sunday, May 8, 2016

05/08/16 Day 36: Öblarn, AT

Happy Mother's Day from Öblarn, Austria! Sending love out to all the mamas out there and especially to my mama. Thinking of her often on this tour and taking notes for her so when she comes to Europe, she doesn't have to rely on Rick Steves for info...

I went full eye mask and noise machine last night. Felt good to not set an alarm and wake up after the body had achieved its full intent. Threw on my pajamas and rolled downstairs and at once realized I was in a public restaurant and looked like a crazy man. Large tables of Austrians getting their prefix Mother's Day meals and enjoying tall beers, wearing lederhosen. They didn't seem to notice.

A small breakfast spread was in the back room for us. I didn't see Peter or Jeff as I threw back a couple bread/meat/cheese open faced sandwiches and a couple cups of weak coffee. Wasn't the most lavish meal I've ever had, but it got the job done.

Spent the afternoon chilling. Another nice day with the occasional sun shower so I spent some time on the patio next to our Gasthof writing postcards and having a cold one myself. The guys trickeled over and joined me for a bit before I decided to rewatch the last Game of Thrones episode in a hallway on the first floor. The wifi on my floor isn't great. The best signal is when you sit on the can. Which is handy sometimes, but not now.
Gasthof Bäck'n Hansl.

Hans recommended we try a particular restaurant out for a special Austrian dinner called Tatarenhut but we couldn't get the restaurant on the horn so we decided to just eat downstairs in the restaurant which turned out to be great. I went with a nice big salad and some beef stroganoff with potatoe croquettes.  Afterwards the apple strudel with vanilla sauce and whipped cream, which I remember from the last visit two years ago. Cold apple strudel, hot vanilla sauce. Pretty slamming.

We went next door and had an aperitif with Harold at the venue bar and then called it. I was cooked. And although this is our last night to experience Austria, I was ready to fall into bed. You can tell the tour is winding down when I'd rather go to bed than find something fun to do. We had a good run here though and are excited to come back next year! Tomorrow München and our last show of the 2016 "Gambling" Tour... Bittersweet.

No comments: