Thursday, May 8, 2014

5/8/14 day 31: Berlin, Germany

Breakfast at 9 AM at the hotel. Very modest offering. Hit the road at 1030. Arrived in Berlin, Pankow at about 2:30. Hit some traffic but otherwise a quick trip, all things considered. Drove through intermittent rain and sunshine. Located the Zimmer 16 and devoured nearest Döner. It was the first proper spicy thing I've eaten in a month. It was nice. Getting excited for spicy southwestern food!

Had some time to kill so we parked at a cafe and had coffee and chatted while the patio swarmed with little German kids eating ice cream, falling down, riding bikes, crying, playing tag, occasionally melting down and generally just freaking out. Some things never change I guess. Pankow must be the young family neighborhood of Berlin. It's pretty deep in former east Berlin, so I assume the rent is cheaper than other areas; hence all the younger families.

Load into the club at 6. It's amazing how this music changes peoples attitudes. Take example Rolf, the booking/sound guy. When we rolled up, he was a little ornery, as sound guys can be at times. We didn't really speak much while we got ready to sound check. We sound check one song and all of a sudden Rolf is all smiles and a jokester. His attitude changed immediately. He told me at set break how this was "his" music, and how much he appreciated us being professional, and how he wants us back this time next year. I was flattered.

But anyway, it was a cool show. Had a bunch of friends roll up as well as some brand new faces. It was a smallish crowd of 25+ but the mood was light and they sung and clapped along and were super appreciative. Heard many nice compliments from the staff as well.

(Photo Jörg Heldman)

Venue fun fact, this club was a children's movie theater in the early 70s. They played a bunch of the DEFA Filme here. I thought that was so cool! After working with those films after college, to be in a theater where they were actually screened was so awesome. Shout out to my DEFA Film family!

After the set, we grabbed some dinner at a Mexican restaurant on the corner called La Paz with some of Emily and Peters friends. I think everyone was pretty fried (I know I was) so we headed out to Neuruppin to crash out shortly thereafter.

Bummed to leave Berlin so quickly. Definitely not enough time. I will be back though. Maybe even in October...

Got to Neuruppin at 1 am and checked into my room. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little bit bummed I didnt get my corner pimp suite looking out over the See, but this will still do just fine.... We are totally spoiled here and I love it. I look forward to this gig all year.

Tmrw's plan: late breakfast, steam room, swimming, napping, gig. And NO DRIVING. Night.

No comments: