Wednesday, April 22, 2015

4/22/15 day 4: Cecina, IT

Skipped breakfast today at the hotel. For 5€, it wasn't attractive enough. Plus, I needed all the sleep I could wrangle. We had a drive ahead of us today; Milan to Cecina. Out of the hotel at 11, and ran to the corner baker for some treats. Had arguably the tastiest croissant in my life... Nutella filled, powdered sugar, chocolate chips. I mean it was diabetic nightmare, but crazy crazy good. I also got some focaccia for the road. I mean look at this stuff...
Focaccia the real way.
Focaccia with veggies, eggplant, olives and zucchini, tomato and cheese, four cheese... All fresh. All delicious. Thick but somehow light dough, fresh topping, so good. Got myself a thin slab of the quattro fromaggio focaccia to go (after my fat free Nutella croissant by the way) because I'm watching my weight on this tour...

We hit the road around 1ish. The first hour or so of the drive wasn't very exciting. The view wasn't great. It was like generic countryside. And then at some point we were surrounded by rolling hills, and then snow capped peaks were off in the distance and then we were driving through mountain tunnels that reminded us of Austria. It was beautiful. We came out of the other side of a mountain range and started passing small villages precariously perched on the hillside, farmland and small vineyards and large plots of land drying out granite. This area is known for the marble that is produced here. Things started to flatten out as we approached the coast and its started to look more Mediterranean. 

We dumped our stuff at the Hotel Posta and headed out on a 30+ minute walk to the beach. I was a little stressed because I wanted a nap before sound check at 730 and it was 5 when we left the hotel. We got to a quiet little beach cafe in a sleepy little cluster of cafes and had a quick beer and toasted our good fortune. The beach was pretty quiet as well save some workers doing their best to get things ready for the upcoming tourist season.


I decided to head back to the hotel pretty quickly after we got there while Jeff and peter stayed seaside. I decided that a nap was required if I wanted to sing that night AND stay awake. I saw a bus station on the walk in and decided to try my luck to hitch a ride back to town and sure enough, a couple minutes later, I was on the bus back to the "centro" of the town where our hotel was. The ride took less then 5 mins and we were back in town. Not only did I get my nap, but I stopped for a Döner beforehand. Went to sleep a happy, full, tired man.

Out the door at 745pm. The venue was just a few blocks away so we hoofed it to the Birroteca Dopio Malto which apparently was a different business not too long ago.

It was there we finally met Cesare, the guy who booked the tour. He and his girlfriend are 2/3 of Roots Music Promotions, the company that booked the tour. Good dude and a fellow musician. Quick sound check in the smallish room and then it was dinner time. Peter and I ordered the steak with Gorgonzola sauce. Oh man, I'm gonna be 300lbs when I get home, and I'm cool with it. That's why I have a gym membership...

Another late start tonight; 1030pm. These crazy Italians and their late nights... Performances in Germany are usually done by 1030. This is a whole new thing for us. The set went well I think. The folks were appreciative and engaged. They were singing "Printemps a Paris" like it was their job. Loving the "Free Falling" cover with the harmonies. All in all a good night. Shout out to the awesome Kirschke family for making the trip down from Lucca. I met the Kirshke's on the Seabourn Sojourn in 2012 and we kept in touch. It was awesome to see them!



No comments: