Sunday, April 3, 2016

04/04/16 day 2: Göppingen, DE

Landed in Amsterdam about 7. Super fried out, hungry, and in need of a proper espresso. Wandered around a bit, reoriented myself, found a couple cappuccinos by my gate to München but let's be honest, it's gonna take more than espresso to get the big cat back on track. Luckily, some of this spits familiar and Dutch to me sounds like drunk German, so my chances are good; I'll find what I need here and make my way to München without international incident. I did pack some Euros in the gtr case, so I'm good, although, these days, they all take debit without batting an eye. I just feel like handing them their currency gives me license to start dusting off German. Unfortunately, no one is impressed and all answer me back in English. Maybe I need a more angular, euro-centric wardrobe. I mean, I look like Brian from The Independents for crying out loud...

I dont even think I was fully in my seat before I passed out on the plane.  I think that half a sleeping pill was delayed release. I woke up as folks started to disembark the plane in Münchener Flughafen. Arriving in international terminals in the morning is strange. It's a maze of nondescript hallways. It's like you are in airport purgatory for 15 minutes before you are allowed entrance into the normal areas. 

It's Spring in München complete with bright green pastures and birds chirping and going about their business in an orderly fashion, as one would expect German birds to do.  The plan was to meet Jeff and Peter at the Sixt car rental booth and true to their word, they had assembled there and had already discovered wifi.  Got the keys to our brand new Opel Zafira and hit the road.  Short drive today; a quick 1.5 hr trip NW to Göppingen outside of Stuttgart.
Eyes are puffy but spirits are high. Getting the rental car at Sixt.

Short drive to Göppingen which is the scene of our very first tSR Trio gig three years ago this month. We are actually staying in the same hotel and the manager still has North & Prospect in his stereo.
This brand new Opel Zafira is the tour whip. Fits three musicians comfortably including guitars and luggage.

I hit the pillow hard for about 2.5 hrs and met up with the team downstairs in the lobby around 6. We walked around Göppingen looking for a good spot to grab some dinner and settled on a restaurant in the main square of town. We sat outside and enjoyed the cool spring weather and got caught up over plates of pasta and discussed the new set list for this tour. Too many hits baby!
Prost, Jungs! Becks on draft aint bad.

Grabbed a gelato on the short walk back to Hotel Dreikaiserberge (I went with mocha and Nutella) and was in bed by 8:45. Glorious! Gonna power down hard tonight!

No comments: