Wednesday, April 6, 2016

04/06/16 day 4: Tübingen, DE

Up a little earlier than planned. My hotel windows faced a small square and at about 6am farmers started to gather to set up for a small market. So by 630 I thought some punk kids were having a party. Not much you can do against that. I decided I'd just get up and have breakfast downstairs. 

After breakfast I watched the last episode of Walking Dead which I had downloaded to my iPad. Holy smokes! Neegan is a complete dick!

Met the guys at 11:30 in the lobby and said our goodbyes to Kemal the hotel manager who might be our second biggest fan in Göppingen. Took a quick spin through the farmers market and found a nice old lady selling Pinova apples which made me very excited. We discovered this varietal last tour on the banks of Bodensee and man, THIS is an apple. Crisp and sweet. So I was stoked to find them today, however these were much smaller than I remember which gave me pause. I bought two tho and ripped into one only to be slightly disappointed; these lacked both flavor and crispness. Must not be their time. So I threw that rotten apple back at that old lady and said "bad old lady!" Just kidding.

Made it to Tübingen by 1:30 or so and made our way to the Hotel Fortuna which is a nice little spot outside of town a click. We loaded into our rooms and headed back out in search of food. We headed off in the direction of Reutlingen after the suggestion from the girl at the front desk. We drove about 10 minutes through non-descript neighborhoods and found no options. The prospect of food wasn't looking good until we randomly drove past a little neighborhood Biergarten and I slammed on the brakes. 

What a gem! The sun even made a short appearance. We feasted and toasted our good fortune (which happens often on these tours).
Peter "Ich bin gluh!"

It was glorious! I went traditional Wiener Schnitzel with fries and loved it.

After lunch I went down for a short nap but allowed myself some time to check out the spa attached to the hotel. The main attraction was a sauna, pool, and steam room. The band had the place to itself and this spa wasn't a "naked" spa so there was no danger of seeing any hanging chads. It was really nice. Not up to par with Seehotel Fontane in Neuruppin but sufficient.

On the road to Sudhaus at 5:15 and rolled up around 5:45 due to some traffic heading into town. Sudhaus is a really vibey building, it used to be a brewery than a furniture manufacturer, and now a cultural center with a bistro, art gallery, and a couple stages. We loaded in and sound checked when I got a call at about 6:45. Jeff put a German SIM card in his phone which allows us now to send and receive calls. This call was from my cousin Alex who is on a three month euro adventure. He planned to be in Tübingen for the tSR trio show but was at the first venue; the venue for our show had changed from the time he saw our calendar... I hopped in the car and picked him up. He was wandering around scaring the locals. Reunited!
Bliss/Chartrand

We dined on bacon wrapped Pork medallions with fried mashed potato croquettes in the bistro upstairs.

Green room band stickers.

Our friend and fellow singer/songwriter Johannes opened the show with a 25 minute set and then we hit two 40 minute sets. The stage was good, the Pa was good, and we had a full house of about 50 people. It went really well I think. The stories flowed a bit better than the first night and my German felt stronger. A bunch of friends including Simone and Ralf and Virginie, made it out which was awesome! A great night all together.

No comments: