Saturday, April 28, 2012

4/27/12 Day 2: Barcelona

Expectations, meet Reality. Now, play nice.

Today felt like it lasted forever: up at 430 (never been good at the time change), deliciously traditional European breakfast with rich yogurt, warm baguette, sliced meats and cheeses, loads of fresh fruit and pastries, short taxi to the ship, sign in procedures, load into room and get unpacked, and then spent the next ten hours wandering the ship and meeting other crew. After a basic safety training session, we set sail around 6. I found out that the next seven days is a charter. In this case, a pharmaceutical company has rented the boat and so this isn't a normal week of cruising. Entertainment schedules are set by the renters; it's good news for me because my duties are light and we are headed to Italy! First stop Marseilles!

Everyone so far is very kind and helpful and are diligent in explaining procedures and breaking things down. Crew is definitely family.

My first set on the ship went well. It felt good to do some playing. Hadn't picked up the guitar in a couple days and my voice felt strong and my fingers nimble. First tune played on my maiden voyage: Old man by Neal Young... apt on many levels.

After the set, I visited the weight room for some exercise and called it a night. Yup, you heard it right. Just another day on board the Seabourn Sojourn...

I'd say so far my expectations and reality aren't too far off: sleeping accommodations, food, etc. One challenge that I didn't foresee was Internet access. Everyone, including guests, have to pay for usage. Don't they know I need to be able to blog?!

Over and out, kids.

No comments: