Tuesday, November 3, 2015

11/3/15 day 4: Aachen, DE

Up at 730 to grab my train to Köln. My very gracious host Michael dropped me at the train station with cheese sandwiches and one of the most delicious pears I've ever had.

Arrived in Köln shortly after 10 and met my old friend (and former MHC student) Julia and her baby for coffee. Julia was a surrogate sister/exchange student from Germany who lived with my family in 99. She now lives with her husband and three kids outside of Köln. We had a great catch up session and then I continued on my way to Frankfurt hopping on a speedy ICE train (average speed 230 km/h). 

Met Clint, Jeff and Peter at the Sixt car rental around 1:30. Happy hugs all around and we hopped in our new Ford S Macks and hit the road around 2:30. Fast forward 6 hrs and some of the worst  traffic I've ever experienced, ever, we finally made the hotel in Eislingen... Hungry, thirsty, and a little fried out but spirits were high nonetheless.

And can I tell u the moment we touched down at our hotel/restaurant?!? Pure joy.
And can you guess what we ordered? Schnitzel, baby, Schnitzel...
I ordered the Prinzess Schnitzel with salad and fries. Just what the doctor ordered. Everything tasted amazing and wouldn't you know it, the guitars were busted out and some songs were sung... 

So is the life I guess. It was the rehearsal we planned on had we arrived when we should have arrived. In any case, we made good friends with the owners of the place (who started calling out tunes) and all went to bed fat and happy. We certainly turned the day around.



No comments: