Saturday, October 25, 2014

10/23/14 day 16: Exeter, UK

Up for breakfast at 9 with the guys around the corner at a cafe. Proper English breakfast; eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, grilled tomato, toast, fries...

Picked up at 10, loaded in the van, and headed west for Exeter. Arrived first at the hotel, and then 45 minutes later, picked up again and taken to Deer Park which is an old English manor at the end of single-car wide serpentine lanes walled in by thick hedgerows making it nearly impossible to see in front or next to you. The party is here and we are rocking the heated tent out behind the manor for an intimate set after the guests finish dinner.

We were taken to a super quaint local pub for dinner. Otter Inn with it's low sagging wooden beam celings, cheeky waitresses and huge inviting hearth. I went local with the menu.
Me "Excuse me, could you bring me some extra sauce, I'd like to dip my cod in it."
Cheeky Waitress: "[blank stare] sure."
Me: "Thanks love... Can I call you love?"
Cheeky Waitress: "You can call me whatever you like."
Cutest ice cream cone on the planet

The party was cool. The tent we played in was decked out with moody chandeliers and we had a proper stage and lighting rig. We played a short set to a captive audience. Felt nice to play with the 5 piece albeit a little challenging for me to relearn my parts in that set up. We had fun though and it was a sufficiently loose, adequately tight set. Nice to play Come Together and Spark again.

Headed back to the hotel around 11:45 and after a quick debrief at the bar with seƱor Day, I went straight to bed. Another 6:00AM wake up call. Goodnight Exeter. 



No comments: