Thursday, June 14, 2012

6/14/12 day 50: Gothenburg, Sweden

0945 entertainment staff meeting
1015 crew life boat drill
1115 lunch
1200 take the shuttle into Gothenburg

I hate to say it, but I am experiencing what the experts call "new city fatigue" as well as "Internet deficiency syndrome." It sounds lame, I know, but today I felt like I was just walking aimlessly around looking for a cafe to park it and enjoy high speed Internet and a proper cup of Joseph. In my defense, and dont take this the wrong way Swedish friends, but downtown Gothenburg seemed like one big outdoor shopping mall. Listen, I dig it just like the next cat, but I need more I think. Its not you, its me. Plus, the weather was kind of "sit inside and drink coffee weather." In any case, I had a great afternoon chilling with friends, but at the same time, I feel like I didn't maximize my time and enjoy Gothenburg as much as I could/should have. So, spent a couple of hours in town, looked around a bit, picked up a few bits at a clothing store, had a coffee, surfed the highway, and made it back to the ship by around three. That being said, I bet it's pretty amazing city in the Summer. I do regret that we don't come back to this town on my contract. Oh well, we do hit Stockholm again and I'll make it up to you Sweden (and myself).

Tonight was the last night of the cruise for most passengers. Every cruise there are "through" passengers that string two, three, sometimes four cruises together. In fact, there is one famous/infamous guest that travels like 320 days a year on this ship. Unreal, right?! Anyway, tonight I had a good crowd in the club as folks were eager to spend one more evening before what im sure for some people will be a long day of travel. Between sets I had the distinct pleasure of trying another "guest" restaurant out on the ship. Oh man. Delicious. I splurged and got a nice big steak with fries and salad. It was fairly glutinous, but a nice reward for all my hard work in the club, in the gym, and in general. It was a treat and I definitely felt extremely fortunate as I enjoyed this amazing meal and gazed out over the water, watching our wake fade out into the horizon. In these quiet moments one starts to ponder the human experience, ones life path, and funny twists of fate. You wonder how many thousands (no millions?) of people have gazed out over the same water and felt the same sense of gratitude. You wonder if you have enough ketchup on your plate for the number of fries you have. You wonder, if you order now, will you have enough time to crush a piece of chocolate
cake and really put this meal over the top? In the end, you shake your head in disbelief that you are even debating these things, sigh, and then have a sip of red wine. Life, my friends, is a funny little monkey sometimes.

No comments: