Saturday, June 9, 2012

6/9/12 day 45: Olden, Norway

Woke up today to discover we still hadnt gotten the internet and phone situation taken care of on board. I wondered if it was because we were deep in Norway and satellite reception was bad. I am assuming that is the case. I went outside to the crew deck (affectionately referred to as the "monkey deck") to see snow capped mountains surrounding the ship. It's stunning. The sun even made an appearance before slipping behind a slow moving wall of thick grey clouds. There was a pick up game of basketball up here on deck until the spa manager came up and called it off. She'd waited as long as she could she said but now guests were coming in for appointments. The crew deck is right above the spa and I can only imagine the racket caused by the game. I've learned that on the ship, it's way better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

I have IPM today which is a real bummer. I want to run up those mountains. From the ship you can see waterfalls of melting snow rushing down sheer rock faces, disappearing into small creeks that run past farm houses, and eventually emptying back into the water of the fjord. I bet that water is tasty. I bet that water is clean and delicious. I see a snow bowl in the distance. I wish I had some skis. From my vantage point on deck 11, the town looks tiny. I think this town is more intended as a jumping off point to do some hiking and glacier appreciating. Looking down the valley I imagine huge glaciers carving out this deep valley leaving in their wake a verdant valley with some of the most beautiful and vibrant greens I've ever seen. The cobalt blue water looks like a reflection of the sky. It's just stunning.

Recommended listening: "Carved by Glaciers" by Tempe, AZ band Lymbyc System.

No comments: