Monday, April 14, 2014

4/13/14 day 6: Ebeltoft>Engelsholm

Missed breakfast by 15 minutes today. Who stops serving food at 9:15? The Danes... (Squints eyes and clenches fist).


Chris and I agreed to visit the town a little (and find lunch, he missed breakfast too) before hitting the road. He has graciously invited me Engelsholm tonight where he is doing a concert. Engelsholm is a art school housed in a castle. It's gonna be sweet.

Walked around downtown Ebeltoft and found a little cafe for a coffee and panini. Ordering food is still a little bit of a gamble. I think I just ordered a tuna melt panini sandwich with ementhaler cheese but I won't be surprised if something else is delivered, like, a fried egg and a slab of pickled herring. I think "med ost" means "with cheese" but it could be "add herring." U just gotta roll w it. (Ps. I did get my tuna panini.... Success!)



The weather in Ebeltoft literally changes by the minute. Sunny, blue sky, then a front blows in and it rains for 7 minutes, cold and windy, sun, rain, sun, windy, rain. It rains just enough to moisten the cobblestone then the sun dries them.

During one of the rainier spats of our expedition we decided to check out the tall ship dry docked by the water. I need to check out the pamphlet and read up on its importance... It's an authentic war ship from the 19th century. That's all I know at the moment.


These photos were taken like 10 minutes apart. See what I mean about the weather? Anyway, this shot is in honor of all the Danish Barrelmen...


After Ebeltoft we headed to Engelsholm. It was like in a fairy tale. The castles it's upon a lake, surrounded by a moat and is a school for the arts. I spent ten minutes on the grounds and I wished I had went to school here. I can't imagine my life if I went to a school that supported the arts in this way. I would have been in heaven! Drake and Sarah, Chris's friends, and now my friends, rolled up for the show. Tonight a couple of the songwriter teachers here at the school (including Chris) did a songwriter in the round type event. So it was two Danes and an American. One Dane writes tunes like Johnny Cash and the other a cross between like Radiohead and Rufus Wainright. All singing in English.

Afterwards there was a little songwriter jam session w some of the students and a couple of the teachers. We just passed the guitar around the table for hours. It was totally inspiring. I loved it. I want to coach songwriting to younger players. A student, Astrid, wanted to learn my song "Morning Sun". I've never analyzed the technique of the song. You start to realize how unique everyone's playing is. It felt amazing teaching a young guitar player how to play it.  Anyway, an inspiring night. Full of laughs and fun. So thankful Chris invited me along. I chatted with the principal about coming back in October. This is going to become a regular stop or me, for sure!





No comments: