Thursday, April 17, 2014

4/17/14 day 10: Walksfelde, Germany

Had a nice sleep in today. Not gonna lie. Set a late alarm, put on my white noise sound machine, and drifted into the ether in my little suite at the school. 

Called Peter at 11am, who arrived minutes later with a bounty from the baker. Fresh rolls and the precursor to the Pop Tart, Hindbaersnitte. It literally was a freshly baked, authentic Danish pop tart. But this one, as you can imagine, was the real deal. We raided the kitchen and set out a spread in the cafeteria and checked out videos of Peter's students at their recent gymnastics meet. This is a uniquely Danish thing; non-competitive tumbling and dancing for young Danes. It started like a 150 years ago, the Danes were tired of being rolled over by the Germans so they started this program to help unify and physically strengthen young Danes and foster some national pride. Now, there are regional meets with hundreds of Danes from around the country showing their skills, and Peter runs the program at Skals. It's pretty badass. It's kind of like color guard meets gymnastics. Anyway, I was impressed. I can see why it's a vital part of the modern day Danish curriculum. In the states where art and exercise are being cut from budgets, this country seems to have its priorities in the right place.

Left Skals at 4. Peter sent me on my way with, no shit, a full box of food for the road (including the huge bottle of Curry dressing from Bente, Tak Bente!!); a carafe of coffee, sandwich, waters, apple... I was drinking hot coffee as I rolled into Walksfelde 4 hours later. Thanks to all the staff and students at Skals Efterskole for welcoming me and especially Peter for his unending hospitality. We have some ideas in the works for next October. Skals, I'll see you soon.

Met up w my old friend and European physician Sancho Panzer at Alte Schmiede in Walksfelde at 830. Alte Schmiede is Sancho's 'country' house where he hosts house concerts. I've played here a number of times. This is my home base when I'm in Germany. Sancho is a big sweetheart with hospitality for days. It's not uncommon to spend 3 or 4 days here at a time.

Threw in a load of laundry and spent an hour unwinding with The Dukes of September on blue ray. It's a concert w Fagen, McDonald, and Skaggs. Good stuff. Check it out. Night y'all. So blessed...


No comments: