Friday, April 18, 2014

4/18/14 day 11: Walksfelde, DE

Had a gloriously relaxing day. I almost feel guilty........ almost. Slept in, had breakfast with Sancho, and then began work on a new tune I started in Skals a couple days ago. An idea for the chorus hit me on the drive to Walksfelde yesterday so I was eager to flush it out. "like ruins on a hill, you picked a beautiful place to crumble." I wasn't really sure what it meant, but I thought it was cool.

Felt nice to get those juices flowing again and have the time, space, and solitude I need to write.  Brewed up some coffee, grabbed a pen and paper and shut the door. If I got stuck, Id walk around outside.  I am so grateful to be in a zone (mentally and physcially) where I am comfortable writing again. I can't believe I allowed myself to be in a relationship that stifled that and made me feel guilty. Humans need to be able to express themselves, period. I mean, that's what makes us human. Man, that other shit was for the birds (pun intended).

Worked on the tune for a couple hours and then took a break and watched a DVD of Dylan's 30th anniversary show at MSG in '92. That was inspiring. I found myself watching and strumming along, copping guitar licks from Clapton and others. You guy should check it out. Sancho has the blue ray version which apparently has more footage than the regular DVD. You can peep a young Eddie Vedder, a freakishly skinny Johhny Winter, a super cranky Sinead, a super high Tom Petty, an extremely inspiring Richie Havens, and there is even a .04 second glimpse of a big haired Sheryl Crow singing back ups. Good stuff. Oh and Roger McGuinn of the Byrds played too and I was getting ideas and taking notes for Live from Laurel Canyon. I had no idea he worked at the Brill Building in the early 60s. See, i was still working!

At about 630, Sancho and I went to dinner at a killer Turkish joint in neighboring Mölln. Will someone please open a Turkish restaurant in Phoenix? What's the deal, yo?! I'd be there, like, a lot of times a week. Seriously. Help a brother out.... I need me some skewered meats!

Afterwards, we cruised home and 
Sancho whipped up some chips and homemade salsa and we watched Iron Man 3. Seriously, it's almost like I'm on vacation. Love it. I'm kind of itching to play tho. This new tune has got me a little fired up for the sweet, sweet rock and roll.

No pics today. No crazy adventures. No shenanigans. Didn't even have my phone on me. Hell, I almost didn't even shower this morning (but I did, so chill out). Just a good old fashioned day off (sort of). Writing songs is technically my job. And man, I love what I do.

Night, suckas!


No comments: