Friday, July 13, 2012

7/13/12 day 79: Copenhagen, Denmark

Part of me feels like I wasted a perfectly good day to explore more of one of my favorite towns and the other part of me relishes having a "normal" day.

Woke up to overcast skies above the Danish capital today. Had lunch with friends in the crew mess and saw my friend Liam off the ship as they were carting in palates of guest luggage. Embarkation day is always a little hectic, not for me, but for everyone else. Luggage all over deck 3, new crew getting situated, guests walking around with an air of confusion asking which way "forward" on the ship is... You can always pick out the new and/or leaving crew in the mess because they are wearing street clothes. Nobody wears street clothes at lunch. If anything you'll rock some sweats if you are really feeling relaxed and have the day off. Actually I'm one of the few cats who has the time to wear street clothes. I don't put my suit on until after dinner.

After lunch, I debated for about 25 seconds if I should make the effort and go into town or just take a nap and then head to the gym. I opted for the latter and quietly turned in for a snooze. It was glorious. After a nice long workout in an empty guest gym, I had a quick salad before getting cleaned up for the passenger emergency drill. This happens every cruise. Shortly after all aboard, all crew and guests are required to report for a drill. As a guest, if you fail to appear and check in, your luggage and your person will be removed. It's happened before. After drill, we had our sail away event on deck as the weather had turned around since my afternoon nap. The band plays some tunes, cocktails are passed out to guests and the cruise director introduces the entertainment staff. This is my third time doing this but probably my 10th cruise. Before, the cruise director didn't include me or the solo piano player from the lounge in this welcome event. Somebody realized that we indeed provide entertainment and should therefore be included. Novel idea! Now, along with the band and the singers and dancers, I introduce myself as part of the ships entertainment. I said a few words of greetings as the new guests leaned over the railing with their green cocktails and applauded politely. After mingling briefly, I grabbed the guitar back in the room and took it to the club. Tonight was a short night for me: 6:30-7:15 and then 9-9:45. When this happens, I take full advantage of my dining privileges and eat upstairs in the Colonnade in between sets for a proper meal, some vino di casa, and some conversation with some guests. They'll seat me at an open 6 person table and then randomly drop a couple couples to join me. I had a very lively dinner with two British couples. We talked about music and favorite guitar players, politics, religion... They were so curious what I thought about Obama and the election. I really enjoyed engaging them in conversation and displaying some of my interest in these topics. They were polite, respectful, and considerate. It was really nice despite the fact we broke the cardinal rule of hosting a table: avoid discussing politics, religion, and sex. I made this remake and we all had a good laugh and decided to not discuss sex for the sake of our collective integrity.

After a delicious meal of Surf and Turf, some delicious California Syraz, and decadent chocolate cake, I bid my new friends a good evening and made it back to the club for my last set. I was happy to see them soon join me after they finished dinner and cheered me on through John Denver, the Beatles, Cat Stevens, and Jim Croce.

A good day and a good start to my second to last cruise.

No comments: