Sunday, July 22, 2012

7/22/12 day 88: St. Petersburg

Woke up to the dulcet tones of a hammer pounding what sounded like a 2x4 to the side of my head. No. It was not a hangover. But quite literally repairmen hammering a 2x4 to the wall next to my bed. Good morning!

Had a leisurely day otherwise. I'm cooling out on the tours this last week as I indulge and counter indulge in the amenities of this ship. Basically, I want to spend some long hard hours in the guest gym, and then piss away all muscle and weight advancement by eating the often times extravagant guest food. Basically, I'm a guest disguised as the guitar player. And this isn't far off. Tonight the club was empty from 630-700. It's understandable though... People are exhausted from all the tours. St. Petersburg cruises are notoriously sleepy. Some guests do three tours a day. No wonder they go to bed right when they get back to the ship. Anyway, it's my time to take advantage of my restaurant and guest gym access while the ship is quiet.

And I definitely splurged at dinner. It was a Tuscan Market (not Tucson) which is an Italian buffet. Cheeses, rich and creamy pasta, delicious bread, another section of cheeses and numerous sliced meats. I've been so good lately too. Really. Imagine my will power turning down literally a bucket of assorted pastries everyday. Me?! In some circles I'm known as Captain Croissant. In others, The Pastry King of the Southwest. I love me some pastries. It's no secret. Anyway, I've been denying this carnal urge for days, nah weeks, and tonight I made up for it with a killer Peach Flambé. Oh yes. It was delicious, and at one point, that peach was nutritious, but not when I met it. It was cooked over a low heat with caramel and rum and then placed over a ball of gooey vanilla ice cream. I went big. I went very big. And it was worth it. This just means the next time I am in the gym I double my dosage and kick some ass. To my credit, the workout plan is working; moved a notch on the old belt (the good way) and feeling fit as hell. You know what they say...Ship Happens. OH SNAP!

In other news, the weather today was awesome! Very UN-St Petersburg. Sunny with a little wind. In all of my visits to this post imperial town, never have I seen so much sun. Hopefully tomorrow we have it again. I'm doing an 8 hour tour of the Romanov Palaces.... Wake up call at 6:15. Now, where is that hammer?

In other news, listened to the entire "The Voce Project" record today. So stoked to make music with that band again soon!

No comments: