Sunday, July 15, 2012

7/15/12 day 81: Tallinn, Estonia

This morning I read all of the guest comments regarding ship entertainment from our last cruise. I was flattered by all the personal shout outs guests made considering the they were asked to make a general comment on all the ships entertainment including all production shows, guest entertainers, as well as the band, myself, and the solo piano player. I had a good chuckle reading this comment: "guitarist belongs in a 1960's coffee shop" which I think was part reflection of my song choice and part reflection of my mustache. This thing is definitely from a bygone era. And the more I think of it, the more I realize that is a pretty apt description of what I do. Thanks lady! I got a new tag line! Thats how the ship should promote and market my shows. "Join Brian and his mustache in the club for 1960s era coffee shop tunes.... and Radiohead... And originals but, shhhh, don't tell anyone" Perfect. I'd go to that.

Raining off and on in Tallinn today. Had a quick lunch on the ship and ventured out during a break in the water. I made it all the way from the ship to the old walled town. I paused for a moment at a bistro wine bar spot and took a quick photo because they do live music Friday through Sunday. I took about 30 steps and rounded the corner when I saw people scattering from the main square. I heard what sounded like a waterfall and turned and started running myself. It came down so hard and fast. It went from overcast to torrential downpour in seconds. People taking refuge in doorways, under overhangs, umbrellas... It was like a bad music video, November Rain style. Somewhere in Tallinn, someone dove through a wedding cake, im sure of it. I made it back to the wine bar and ordered a coffee and before I could finish, sitting in my awesome perch by the window, the sun started shining. Amazing. Gutters are still spouting water and small Estonian rivers are flowing over the cobblestones. While there I inquired about live music and got the booking agents card. Maybe I was supposed to be there, in that restaurant, at that time. Maybe Im supposed to play there in the future. Maybe i'll become an Estonian pop sensation?! They are known for having the Singing Revolution after all.... Check your history folks. BLAM.

Picked up some Estonian trinkets on the way back to the ship. What are "Estonian trinkets" you ask? You'll have to ask my nieces...

Passed a sneaky Russian sub heading into the Gulf of Finland. Probably just the KGB.

No comments: