Friday, May 11, 2012

5/11/12 day 16: Portimao, Portugal

Forgot to move the clocks back one hour due to the new time zone, so got up a little earlier than necessary. Still missed breakfast in the crew mess, but managed some toast and a cup of coffee before meeting up to go on a walk around the city.

We took a short shuttle into downtown. As we were getting off the ship, we overheard guests say there wasn't much to see or do and we quickly discovered that to be the case. The highlight was this very picturesque stork that made a nest on top of a smoke stack, no joke, a stork. It was easy to see that a city like Malaga takes international tourism very seriously and invests lots of resources to make outside visitors feel comfortable and safe. The town felt a bit run down and very sleepy, and i dont think it was because it was siesta time. We ended up walking back to the ship 30 minutes later after walking through town, had some lunch, and then I retired to my room for some rest. I think I am starting to feel the effects of singing every night and am feeling tired during the day. Luckily I have been exercising often and keeping hydrated. My voice feels strong, I just feel tired. Still, 16 days in a row singing is a record for me!

Tonight is the last night of this cruise. Met some really nice passengers that I hope to keep with. Tomorrow we get a new load of passengers in Lisbon.

2300 hrs:
Small anecdote from tonight. Towards the end of my first set, the Captain and his wife came into the club and sat down for a drink. When I finished up, I walked over and introduced myself and asked him if there were any songs he might like to hear. He immediately asked "do you know any Guns and Roses?!" He then said that no one had ever asked him what he'd like to hear. I guess u better dig up my Appetite for Destruction tape... I still get a point for trying though.

I also found out from some guests that there was a very cool part of town in the opposite direction of where I walked today. Apparently the beach, and not the old city, was the place to go today. So, I guess I can't write off Portimao yet. I'll have to go back and see for myself! Tomorrow is Lisbon. Obrigado y'all.

1 comment:

James L. Thane said...

Even though you're a little tired, it still sounds like you're having too much fun for a guy who's supposed to be working on this cruise ship...