Thursday, May 24, 2012

5/24/12 day 29: Hamburg, Germany

It was a picture perfect afternoon in Hamburg, Germany. The land of the beige Mercedes taxi. Got off the ship after lunch and went for a solo stroll. For all the times i've been in and out of Hamburg, I never spent any time by the harbor. It's beautiful. The city has obviously dumped some funds into a harbor revitalization. It's actually still happening. There are cranes all over this place but they are not invasive. I love architecture in Germany because they appreciate modern approaches in design and aesthetic but almost always is there a nod to history and always to function. I was really impressed with the harbor. Really clean, visually interesting while incorporating the history of this area and these buildings. Beautiful canals past old brick factory buildings, cafes on every corner, brand new modern hotels, bike paths... It was exactly what you'd think a German port city would look like: clean and functional. I wandered north to the Rathaus and headed back in the direction of the boat. I came across this old toll house perched on the side of a canal which of course now is a little cafe and had a coffee in the sun. Everybody in the city was outside on their lunch break. I bet after a long winter, days like today are celebrated and every minute of sun is absorbed. Now I am bummed we don't have more time here. Its also great overhearing German. It makes my brain work. I start to think in German. I was literally walking around with a smile on my face realizing that I can understand what people were talking about. People I am sure thought I was crazy. Germany has a special place in my heart and soul for sure. And Hamburg just got bumped up the list of favorite German cities. It's got the whole harbor thing, which Berlin doesn't have. It's a nice touch.

Crew is busy loading on the luggage of the new passengers and I see some new faces in the crew area. I remember my first day on this ship. I was pretty overwhelmed. I am starting to settle in. I am still amazed at my good fortune, I mean, here I am playin music on a luxury cruise liner and visiting some of my favorite cities (and seeing new amazing places). I love existing in in a "behind the scenes" environment. For example, in Phoenix, my work hours are pretty non-traditional. I rarely have to drive in rush hour traffic. I rarely wait in lines at, say, the super market because I can get all that stuff done when everyone else is at work. It feels like I exist in this alternate reality. I love that feeling. And here on the ship, I feel it too. I feel it in relation to the guests but also to the other crew. I have this awesome reverse schedule. It's oddly satisfying.

Off to enjoy the rest of this amazing day on the crew deck overlooking downtown Hamburg and revel in my good fortune. Cheers.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Too cool. What an adventure. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!