Friday, May 25, 2012

5/25/12 day 30: Kiel Canal, Germany

We are spending the day cruising across Germany through the Kiel Canal. Another beautiful day outside. I went out to the crew deck to take it in. It was very surreal at first, gliding through the countryside past yellow fields, small villages, and couples riding along the canal on their bikes. We'd wave at cyclists and folks sitting in their back patios. Can you imagine a luxury cruise liner sailing by literally off your back porch. At points the canal wasn't much wider than the ship and it looked like we'd scrape the bottoms of the bridges as we silently passed under them. Sat out on deck and enjoyed the sun and the sights for a couple hours.

I already like this new group of guests! They are really appreciative and respectful and they LOVE John Denver and the Beatles, so I think we are gonna be just fine. My song list is growing and I am really digging playing the new material. Some of those dogs I've been playing for 8 years. "Green Eyes" by Coldplay was the first cover tune I learned when I moved to Phoenix. I played that track tonight but also the new ones. Really digging Norwegian Wood and Mrs. Robinson.

3 comments:

Anderson said...

All I can think of is Niels quote, which I can't repeat here, and Dracula liquor. Really loving the blog. Are you turning into Anthony Bourdain btw? If so, tell us about the pork dishes!

Der Ketchup Koenig said...

Ha! Too funny. That was an epic tour for sure. We didn't have time to get off the ship today otherwise I would have tracked Niels down. On our way to Stockholm. Give my love to the rest of the fam.

James L. Thane said...

Appreciative and respectful listeners are the best!