Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5/16/12 day 21: Cobh, Ireland

I stepped off the Sojourn at about 1200 hours after an entertainment staff meeting, a life boat drill, and lunch (today' menu wasn't extremely exciting but had some mashed potatoes, strip steak in peppercorn sauce, and mixed vegetables). I was greeted by crisp and clean Irish air, the coldest temp so far (probably 60 in the sun). Cobh is a small port town in southern Ireland. It was actually the Titanic's last port of call before heading west. I took a 25 minute train ride on a little three car commuter train to kent station in Cork. We followed the water which turned into a river and passed through sturdy, quiet suburban neighborhoods. It's very green, reminds me of western Massachusetts. In fact, this could be anywhere in MA... except the cars are on the wrong side of the road and the houses too colorful. These are solid structures compared to their counterparts in Portugal.

Kent Station is basically downtown, so I followed the walking masses (actually it was like three people) towards the city center. Followed my senses which took me through the pedestrian shopping areas and over the bridge and to a church. At the church I noticed a little sign explaining that I was in the middle of a walking tour of some notable Cork sites so I followed the signage to the next stop and so on until I found myself back in the city center. I picked up a post card and stamp, debated enjoying a Beamish (Cork is the home of Beamish, or at least where it was brewed) but opted to catch the 3pm train back to Cobh. I had enough change in my pocket for a cup of hot, spiced apple cider at the station.

Once back at Cobh, I headed to the town center and ran into Chris. We decided it was our duty as tourists to enjoy a Murphy's on the patio in the sun by the boat. Life, my friends, is good. Gonna meld some minds tonight w my tunes.

No comments: