Monday, May 7, 2012

5/7/12 day 12: Barcelona, Spain

Woke up in Barcelona today. This was where I started this cruise over a week ago. Had a full day to check it out too. We set out at about 1030 and started walking west to the Olympic park, then headed north to the Barcelona soccer stadium. We stopped for a quick lunch of tapas and baguette sandwiches. From there we took a tram to just above La Rambla (check the spelling on that) and then headed south back to the port. I walked into a Camper store, my favorite shoes, but left without a purchase. It just doesn't seem right to drop 150 on a pair of shoes. It was such a beautiful day we ended our walking tour at a cafe by the port and refreshed with a beer in the
Sunshine. Had enough time for a nap and a quick meal in the mess before the gigs; played four 45 minute sets tonight.... child's play really. Had a long conversion with the Reefer Engineer about Stockholm (his home
country) and music. Reefer, by the way, stands for refrigeration, not the illicit substance. Excited to see more of the world. Excited to put my Danish lessons to work. At the same time, the more time I spend on the boat and the more friends you make, the more you see and hear everyday about how this lifestyle can really test ones relationships back home; especially the cats that do this year round. I am thankful that my loved ones understand and support this experience for me and remain close despite all the challenges we face in communicating... It would be a lonely experience without them.

No comments: