Thursday, April 4, 2013

4/04/13 day 3: Copenhagen

Up at the break-a-dawn, but still got 8 hours of soulful and rejuvenating horizontal sleep. Throw in a hot shower in an extremely ergonomic bathroom and this guy feels like a million Kroner!

Metro from Nanna's apartment to Nørreport station. According to Nanna, this is a new center of activity, and by the looks of the construction it will be a beauty. I remember from my last visit that this area was all dug up. Still is. It's a cluster. However, despite the disrepair, there were plenty of folks willing to help, in English tinged with a pleasant and soothing Danish accent. Time seems to slows down when a Danish person describes something in English. Even if its pressing. "Yes, your train leaves in 30 seconds..." Seems completely reasonable... And downright, endearing. I was appalled how poor the signage was even in the disrepair of what will no doubt be a beautifully refurbished train station with plenty of natural light, steely angels, and clear signage. I found my way to the platform, boarded and holed up for my short 2 hour journey. I'm in the middle of the second Game of Thrones book. I'm reading it in my iPhone, which is an exercise in squinting.

Found the venue in Odense (Ryan's Pub) with only my wits, photographic memory and spidey skills. The club is putting me up in a modest apartment above the club, which if the country of said club were different, would be a complete shit sty. Leave it to the Danish to provide (what appear to be and no doubt are) fresh linens and a towel and a very tidy little apartment for their musicians. It ain't the Ritz, but what American venue would even consider this very generous act of hospitality?!

First night was a success. It was a pretty light crowd but I was relieved to hear calls for more originals as the night wore on. More tomorrow. G'night world.





No comments: