Friday, April 12, 2013

4/12/13 day 11: Copenhagen, Denmark

It was misting this morning when I looked out the window. Wet enough to slicken the ground, but not substantial enough to warrant an umbrella. Low hanging clouds obscured some of the taller buildings in the vicinity. Strange how varied the weather has been this week. Doesn't stop the Danes! Rain, sleet, sun... They are outside on their bike. Brilliant.

At 11 I met my friend and fellow musician Kasper for coffee. I met Kasper years ago when he was touring through the states with Nanna Larsen. They played at Voce Lounge in Scottsdale back in 2009 or 2010. The first time The Sweet Remains toured in Europe, we had Kasper join us on percussion and it was great. He is a great player and a better dude. Great catching up with him over brunch.

Friday night in Copenhagen, and all I wanted to do was lay low. I decided, after making my way back to my friend Nanna's apartment, to head back into the city and check out Cruise's new film Oblivion at the Imperial Theater by Vesterport station. I had some time to kill before the movie so I walked around and found a cool bar (Social Bar) playing Dirt by Alice in Chains. I was immediately transported back to '92 driving around south Hadley in my moms Nissan station wagon. After debating with the owner whether Jerry Cantrell would ever write riffs like that again, I walked back to the theater silently debating my own musical mortality.

The movie was... Nothing special? It had some cool visual elements for sure. The premise was somewhere between Matrix and Moon (with Sam Rockwell). It was a nice distraction though but maybe not worth the near $20 ticket price. Looking forward to meeting up w the guys on Sunday and starting the 'real' tour... All this free time is getting on my nerves.

No comments: