Saturday, April 27, 2013

4/28/13 day 27: Fribourg>Copenhagen

Up at 7:45 to pack, catch breakfast and get to the Stuttgart airport. No time to even take any pics of the city. It was rainy, foggy and cold as we threw our things in the car. Without Peters stuff, we didn't have to Tetris the thing like we had been doing. With three people, luggage and instruments, there wasn't much more you could have fit in that rental car, or the "five star edition" as it came to be called. It was a trusty stead though and it got Jeff and I to Stuttgart in 4 hours. Peter was probably sleeping soundly as he was taking a train to Geneva to visit friends for a few days. We said our goodbyes the night before but we felt his spirit in the car as he left a mess of cookie crumbs and trash in the front seat... Just kidding, baby! We love u brother!

Once I dropped off Jeff, returned the rental car, and checked in, I had four hours before my flight so I spent some quality time with book three of Game of Thrones. Exciting stuff!! Don't worry, no spoilers.

Flight to COP was easy. Was concerned that Lufthansa was going to charge me an extra seat for my guitar... the woman at the self check-in kiosk intoned as much but the ticket clerk made no mention of it and even put me in an emergency aisle... must be a player himself. Free shuttle to airport hotel for one last night in Copenhagen was super easy.

Made a quick trip to the nearest Döner spot for dinner (thinking this will be the last for at least a year) and brought it back to the hotel to go over all the numbers from the tour and chill. No crazy last night in europe. No train trips into downtown... Quiet. Reflection. Game planning.

It seems as though the tour ends much as it started; flying solo here in Copenhagen. Although, there have been some huge changes in my life since I left. I am a little overwhelmed with how to approach them at the moment and while I would love to be 'present' I catch myself consumed in the "what's to come." And although I am so proud of peter, Jeff and myself for all the hard work (and heaven forbid the fun and camaraderie) melting the minds of numerous european music fans the past two weeks, I return to Phoenix with an extremely heavy heart. Highs and lows like no other...

I am grateful for Peter and Jeff, my brothers in musical arms, without whom this tour would not have happened. I am grateful for all of our amazing hosts and venue workers who welcomed us and treated us with respect. I am grateful to all the music lovers who sat attentively at our shows, applauded and sang passionately, and supported monetarily. I am grateful for a renewed faith in my art and in the power of music to bring people together. I am grateful to my friends and family who continue to lend support and love and check in to see how things are going. I am grateful for so much. But there are always two sides. And I guess for every fulfilling and satisfying experience, there is an opposite experience of equal value. Maybe it's to keep you humble and modest. Maybe it's to remind you life and relationships are fragile...



See you soon Phoenix.

No comments: