Tuesday, April 2, 2013

4/2/13 day 1: Phoenix

Phx>Heathrow>Copenhagen...

And the latest adventure begins. Europe 2013. Whenever I find myself questioning the path my life has taken, I need to remember this feeling; anxiety, excitement, unknown. It's the feeling you feel when you experience life. I know folks that can experience it in their everyday. I guess I tend to feel it when I leave what I know. It's unfortunate in a way. I wish I could see the wonder in every day. Often times I only see the work day. I find immense reward when you take all you know and turn it inside out. You don't know the neighborhood. You don't speak the language. You are, in a sense, alone with yourself. It can be an extremely humbling experience.

I need to remind myself that I get paid to play music around the world. And that is an extremely satisfying realization. My 18 year old self would be very proud. The moment I left Germany in 1994, I vowed to return, with my guitar. And I did. The journey, it seems, continues on. Maybe I need it. Maybe I haven't learned what I am supposed to. Maybe there is more to discover.

I stumbled upon a memory this evening. As this huge plane ascended into the sky above downtown Phoenix (the same plane I would watch from my front porch on 13th ave and Monroe) I recalled my first meal on my flight to Aachen in 1994. In constant wonder, as I am now, I remember ordering the "kaese tortellini" reveling in how exotic it sounded. All my German speaking/ american exchange student friends will attest that that is the MOST common dish among hungry college students. Little did I know at the time. But maybe that's the point. It's only exotic and foreign until you realize how common it is.

While entering my first travel post in some time (this post), I found an unpublished post in reflection of my cruise ship gig last summer. I just published it, unedited. Check it out. Too funny. It's all true. And I still miss my girl Rugby. She was a sweetheart. Rest now sweet girl.

I would like to acknowledge my sweet girlfriend Kimberly for her support in All this discovery and music and life. She has opened my eyes to what life could look like and I like it!

By the time this post is updated, I'll be deep in Denmark. Sharing music. Sharing stories. Sharing life. May it continue until we are all old and can share it around the fire together.

No comments: